Friday, October 23, 2015

RGM-79 [M] w/ C-Armor II, part 1

Since I switched the RGM-79 SP GM Sniper II, inspiration for this project has been flowing in, non-stop. Even more, this has allowed me to attempt a mass production version of the C-Armor, experimental underwater equipment developed for the RX-78-2 Gundam featured in Dengeki's Solomon Express.


 


Since the recent release of the 2nd photo (above), which shows the back side of this custom design, I've developed a more complete understanding of the C-Armor, like how it's mounted, proportions, and the shape of fins and are bits on the propulsion units.

I didn't have everything figured out (I still don't), but I had a game plan and a clear first step: start with the GM Sniper II. In addition to being a very attractive design (way better than Nemo), there are a lot of built in design features that sparked inspiration for this project. Notably, the knee vents, calf armor, and flip down targeting visor-- even more, the shape of the torso provided great surfaces to attach extra equipment.





For starters, I added a larger lens to the visor using the MS Lens 01 option kit. Meanwhile, I started planning the kitbash menu. For the propulsion pods, Dra-C's shoulder pods looked like a great fit to double as boosters and ballast tanks. Additionally, the rectangular booster legs most resemble the C-armor's harpoon launchers. (As a side motivator, I've been impressed by land variants of Dra-C and have been aching to make my own). So Dra-C was my next purchase.




At Galaxy Hobby, I also picked up some cone-shaped metal parts, which looked perfect for the harpoon tips. I sawed off the angled veriner parts on the booster legs, and test fit the metal cones-- fits like a charm. I also experimented with the tooth-spikes included the in Builder Parts Balder Arms set-- I still haven't decided which looks better.







But I still need something for the propulsion-- like a submarine propeller. You'd be surprised how difficult it is to find something like this. I struggled with this enigma for a long time-- in fact, this was one of the enigmatic barriers I ran into with Nemo Mariner: lack of nautical propellers. Submarines kits are fairly expensive, and there is only one propeller-- for my project, I need multiple. I began thinking about SD kits again, and this thought process reminded me of LBX. Sure enough, I found a nautical LBX called "Serpent", which was just what I needed!




Not only does this have the propellers I need, but also fins and other contoured parts. Did I mention it's around the same price of SD kits? Like I said, perfect. It also comes with a neat submachine/torpedo gun-- I'm sure I can put this to good use.






I'm still figuring out what to use for the propulsion pod "cones", since that shape is difficult to scratchbuild and find. One of my gunpla buddies suggested using the FA Unicorn boosters, and that got me thinking of other SD kits that used boosters...like the SD Neo Zeong!



Unfortunately, this kit is still a bit pricey, and the rest of the base kit would look wrong without the boosters. What else has boosters like that? Maybe...Alpha Azieru! Particularly, the ancient 1/550 scale release. Many shops have this item listed at 700 yen, which is a great price point for this project.




I'm still not sure about this plan, but it's given me a lot to ponder.

In my next post, I'll try to post some of my concept sketches and WIPs I've started on.


No comments:

Post a Comment