Friday, June 1, 2012

What do you do when you have too many ideas?

Track them in Excel, of course!

About  a year ago, I started accumulating ideas of "what if?" for gunpla* and needed a way to keep track of everything. I was working as a Project Coordinator at the time, and became a big fan of Excel. I created a workbook to keep track of all of my present and future works in progress (WIPs). Later, I'll post a screen cap of my worksheet for reference purposes.

Currently, I'm working on the following projects, which will all get their own posts in the near future.

WIPs:
  • 1/35 Sakura Wars V Rodeo Star- 85% done with painting, need more detailing and painting
  • 1/144 HG GM Type C w/Wagtail conversion- head and torso built
Concept Stage:
  • Kitbash: RGM Commander Mass Production Unit- prelim sketch (side view) completed, amassing kits for parts, working out Mobile Ball concepts and creating exploded view of individual components
Projects on hold:
  • 1/20 Moeve from Nausicaa- lots of puttying, seam line removal, painting
  • Dark/Shattered Glass Repaint of Classics Hot Rod (TF)- painting, troubleshooting clear window dilemma
  • 1/144 HG 00 Quan [T] w/Full GN Saber IV- painting and detailing for shield binder, clean up water slide decal applications
  • 1/100 Fei Yen from Virtual-On- puttying, gluing, painting...all of the above
  • 1/144 HG Gundam XN Raiser- needs detailing, puttying, painting
  • 1/144 FG Raisel Gundam- figuring out kitbash conversion with HG Dynames to improve articulation.
Let's not forgot all the other ideas I have floating around in my head-- thank goodness I have them in an Excel worksheet. When I'm home, I'll upload some photos of the kitbash concept. I've been carrying a small sketch pad (w/ grid lines!) around with me everywhere! So I've spend all of my spare time on the bus, at the bus stop or just 'waiting around' with pencil to paper. Being able to sketch out my own blueprints and work out the engineering issues on paper before cutting plastic is really helpful for my brain. I wish I had a scanner so I could upload my drawings quickly, and for free.

Speaking of 'things' I need, I met with a friend about airbrushing 101 yesterday! He showed me his airbrush and compressor, and showed me how to clean my airbrush. The good news is that I feel more confident about investigating this new painting method to my repertoire. The bad news? I need to buy an air compressor and (probably) a new airbrush. And then their is paint and cleaning supplies. I'll probably block out the costs in Excel. :)


*I think I need to make a post with vocab and acronyms, otherwise you won't understand me.

No comments:

Post a Comment